imagehowzthat

Sponsors

* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

* Photo Size

Please keep photo sizes to  
640 x480 
Use IMGUR  to edit and post your pics
Also select Linked BBcode  to copy your image to post on the Forum

* Calendar

Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30

* Choose a Theme

* Statistic

• *Total Posts: 44562
  • *Total Topics: 5412
  • *Online Today: 31
  • *Most Online: 116
(11 July, 2013, 06:51:32 AM)
  • *Users: 0
  • *Guests: 18
  • *Total: 18

Author Topic: Easy Day Ride - Canberra, Crookwell, Harden, Canberra - Sun 7 Jun (long weekend)  (Read 6768 times)

Bidger

Hi all, I'm planning an easy ride to run in the new spy-de  :ride: on Sunday 7 Jun (middle of the long weekend). Head from Canberra (late morning) up to Crookwell (via Sutton, Gundaroo, Gunning) to probably stop for lunch.  Then through Boorowa to Harden (I want to get a couple of photos of a house my Dad and I built last century) and back to Canberra.  I need to put about another 400km on the bike before the first service so this run should do nicely.
Not going to ride hard, happy to see anyone for all or part of the ride. :biker:

She boss

Sorry Bidger we can't help you with this one Wizard and I are heading to Halls gap otherwise we would have met up with you happy riding  spy-de

Offline ozzybrp

I maybe a starter on this one----should be good  :biker:

Robert

We will try to come on this ride where do you intend to meet up and at what time?
Robert

Bidger

Plan is to meet up at McDonalds Majura Park ("new" one near Costco) at 10:00 am - that should get us to Crookwell for lunch.  The remainder will happen as it happens after that! :biker:
If :sunny: then :ride: across to Harden to take my photos  :photo: :idea:, if not so :sunny: or perhaps :cold: and  :rain: then might just turn tail for home.  I am not kitted up for real bad weather riding just yet (strange to say that in Canberra!) spy-de

She boss

Keep an eye on Aldi they have some great bike gear that comes on sale and it is usually during winter or if your a member of Costco they have wet weather gear and that's the cheapest way to build your kit

Robert

Plan is to meet up at McDonalds Majura Park ("new" one near Costco) at 10:00 am - that should get us to Crookwell for lunch.  The remainder will happen as it happens after that! :biker:
If :sunny: then :ride: across to Harden to take my photos  :photo: :idea:, if not so :sunny: or perhaps :cold: and  :rain: then might just turn tail for home.  I am not kitted up for real bad weather riding just yet (strange to say that in Canberra!) spy-de

See you there

Offline mrsozzybrp

Looks like AJ & I are in, BUT I have to ask with the proposed route are there dirt roads?  :serrender: Also are you planning to go via Goulburn?
« Last Edit: 02 June, 2013, 09:02:11 PM by mrsozzybrp »

Bidger

Looks like AJ & I are in, BUT I have to ask with the proposed route are there dirt roads?  :serrender: Also are you planning to go via Goulburn?
Not via Goulburn - planned route is Canberra, Sutton, Gundaroo, Gunning, Crookwell, Booroowa, Harden, Yass, Canberra ...
I think it is all sealed (I am not intending gravel travel).   I am sure the Crookwell to Booroowa stretch is certainly sealed, but you have me doubting my memory  :dif01: of the Booroowa to Harden road.  I will check and repost  :book:

Offline mrsozzybrp

Not via Goulburn - planned route is Canberra, Sutton, Gundaroo, Gunning, Crookwell, Booroowa, Harden, Yass, Canberra ...
I think it is all sealed (I am not intending gravel travel).   I am sure the Crookwell to Booroowa stretch is certainly sealed, but you have me doubting my memory  :dif01: of the Booroowa to Harden road.  I will check and repost  :book:
Thanks for doing a double check Bidger, my maps are probably outdated.....Gunning to Crookwell showed an unsealed section as well as Crookwell to Boorowa some unsealed. I know that the road from Boorowa to Harden is all sealed. Cheers Melissa

Bidger

Boorowa council confirmed the sealed status of the only bit of road that I was concerned about ... friends ride the Gunning to Crookwell bit 'regularly' and assure me that it is all sealed and there is a link below to a cycle tour site that states the "The road to Boorowa is up and down, but it's all on road ..." which I have to admit I took to mean sealed ... here goes another email to Boorowa council!

http://cycletraveller.com.au/australia/routes/caves-and-country-day-3

Robert

As I live in Palmerston it would be better to meet you at the Sutton turnoff  if that is OK
Robert

Bidger

As I live in Palmerston it would be better to meet you at the Sutton turnoff  if that is OK
Robert
Sure - should be at the Sutton turnoff at about 1015 ... not intending to be busting a gut on this ride, so more than happy to stop and pick up others along the way!

Bidger

Boorowa council confirmed the sealed status of the only bit of road that I was concerned about ... friends ride the Gunning to Crookwell bit 'regularly' and assure me that it is all sealed and there is a link below to a cycle tour site that states the "The road to Boorowa is up and down, but it's all on road ..." which I have to admit I took to mean sealed ... here goes another email to Boorowa council!

http://cycletraveller.com.au/australia/routes/caves-and-country-day-3
and the answer is "both roads are sealed (from Crookwell and to Harden) - road crews are repairing potholes on the Harden road today but the road is open all the way".  Great, friendly 'country' service from Deidre at Boorowa Council (council@boorowa.nsw.gov.au).

Bidger

There are a couple of two-wheelers joining us as well for the trip, that should make four or five vehicles ... the weather is forecast to be good (early fog and then SUN for Canberra, Boorowa and Yass!) :sunny: ... lets hope it holds!