imagehowzthat

Sponsors

* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

* Photo Size

Please keep photo sizes to  
640 x480 
Use IMGUR  to edit and post your pics
Also select Linked BBcode  to copy your image to post on the Forum

* Calendar

Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31

* Choose a Theme

* Statistic

• *Total Posts: 44124
  • *Total Topics: 5340
  • *Online Today: 36
  • *Most Online: 116
(11 July, 2013, 06:51:32 AM)
  • *Users: 1
  • *Guests: 36
  • *Total: 37

Author Topic: Rides  (Read 5539 times)

Craig-RSS

Re: Rides
« Reply #30 on: 01 April, 2015, 08:42:17 PM »
BJ. Agreed. But I will be looking for a break in the weather to go for a squirt.  I have tomorrow off work so hopefully there will be some opportunity.

Adrian, That sounds pretty bad.  In today's day and age shocks are not that difficult to design.  Surely someone has designed a decent set of shocks for these things.  Has anyone tried something else?  Surely Ohlins or Showa would have something suitable.

Craig-RSS

« Reply #31 on: 03 April, 2015, 07:42:00 PM »
Went for a run through the mountains this afternoon.  I though I would try the fronts at 25 PSI.  Initially the steering was a little more direct and the suspension was a little more firm.

But then came the corners.  What a mistake! The nanny system went into overdrive.  I was lucky to go around a sharp bend at 30 when it was posted at 40. :pullinghair:

I pulled up; grabbed the pressure gauge from the tool kit and dropped the pressure back to 20PSI.  Back to normal. phew!!

The old girl is very sensitive to tyre pressure changes.

I hope to head out again tomorrow just to be sure.  :banana:

Offline lil_boffin

« Reply #32 on: 04 April, 2015, 07:57:03 AM »
Went for a run through the mountains this afternoon.  I though I would try the fronts at 25 PSI.  Initially the steering was a little more direct and the suspension was a little more firm.

But then came the corners.  What a mistake! The nanny system went into overdrive.  I was lucky to go around a sharp bend at 30 when it was posted at 40. :pullinghair:

I pulled up; grabbed the pressure gauge from the tool kit and dropped the pressure back to 20PSI.  Back to normal. phew!!

The old girl is very sensitive to tyre pressure changes.

I hope to head out again tomorrow just to be sure.  :banana:

Now put a pillion on the back, load up with some gear and go through it all again........

Doc

« Reply #33 on: 04 April, 2015, 02:46:34 PM »
Hi Craig, ikoni in Albury are doing shocks maybe talk to them see what the rebound etc
Believe they are about $600 for fronts and same for rear
At least they are in aust
Cheers Doc Qld 

Craig-RSS

« Reply #34 on: 05 April, 2015, 10:36:21 AM »
Do you have their contact details?

Doc

« Reply #35 on: 05 April, 2015, 12:30:12 PM »
Hi Craig
Ikoni suspension is in Albury
ph 0260409955 email sales@ikonsuspension.com.
cheers

Craig-RSS

« Reply #36 on: 06 April, 2015, 02:41:44 PM »
went for a ride around Clear mountain, Mt Mee and down through the back of Caboolture.  I had adjusted the swaybar to the hardest position before I left.  The bike did sit flatter through the corners but it did not gain any additional speed through the corners before nanny kicked in as usual.

Also, a "howdy" to the other yellow spyder rider I spotted coming over Mt.Mee this morning. 

I will give it a few more rides on the current setting but the suspension is a little compromised being tied down that hard with the swaybar and if there is no cornering benefit I will most likely go back to the softer setting.  I will try winding up the springs next, but as with anything, one step at a time.

Offline bj

« Reply #37 on: 06 April, 2015, 05:27:31 PM »
Hi Craig, saw you going past the Pit Stop today, wife and i getting our caffeine fix the place was packed. Also saw that yellow RS going north . Had an interesting chat at the stop with a guy who who drove in with a original Ford GT 40, one mean sounding unit and at 2.5 Mil it would want too. I think i made the wrong job choice .  Cheers

Craig-RSS

« Reply #38 on: 06 April, 2015, 08:04:43 PM »
now that is a dream car!

i glanced up up the pit stop cafe and it was packed; so i kept going.  Too bad i missed u.  catchup soon.

Offline Pogo

• Global Moderator
  • If it ain't fun, I don't do it.
    • The Pogoblog
« Reply #39 on: 06 April, 2015, 08:07:59 PM »
went for a ride around Clear mountain, Mt Mee and down through the back of Caboolture.  I had adjusted the swaybar to the hardest position before I left.  The bike did sit flatter through the corners but it did not gain any additional speed through the corners before nanny kicked in as usual.

Nanny wakes up when the G force exceeds a preset limit. That dos not change greatly with a flatter ride. What you can do is pick better lines (maybe with less G force) because the bike sits flatter.

Pogo (who doesn't bother nanny much)
2008 SE5 GS - Lola
Mastad screen, Givi panniers,
Ikon shocks all round,
Classic towbar,
MMG rear shock sock,
Homebuilt front shock socks,
Hindle exhaust,
Falken ZIEX ZE912 rear tyre,
Kumho Solus front tyres,
Signature sway bar (Brilliant!),
Noboot Alloy skid plate (solid),
Tripod toweyez kit,
Tripod hand brake (Awesome!),
Pogotronics trailer lights isolator,
Pogotronics reverse light switch box,
Pogotronics LED brake/tail light kit.

If it ain't fun, I don't do it.

Craig-RSS

« Reply #40 on: 12 April, 2015, 08:09:36 PM »
Took the bike in to have a look at an oil leak this week.

When I picked it up they could not find the source so they did not class it as a warranty issue so I had to pay for the time spent looking at it.  I had words about it but they refused to acknowledge it as a warranty issue and said "keep an eye on it". 

Pretty pissed!

If they cannot find the source of a weep or leak should not be my problem.  I have NEVER experienced this before from any dealer; be it car or bike.  If it happens again I will be going to BRP then, ACCC.

On another note, I soften the swaybar off before going for a lap today.  The bike did wonder around little more and not as flat through the corners but the suspension was MUCH more compliant from not being tied down as much.  As the bike is able to easily able to go past nanny now, comfort was more of an issue.

Does anyone know if the ECU can be flashed with the 2014 RSS setting which apparently have a little larger fun factor?

Offline Pogo

• Global Moderator
  • If it ain't fun, I don't do it.
    • The Pogoblog
« Reply #41 on: 12 April, 2015, 09:38:28 PM »
Hi Craig.

You could save some time by lining up for a long wait at the ACCC. BRP won't respond.

Break out a tin of talc, pull the plastic off and give your baby a dusting. Then take it back, point to the leak and ask if it is a feature (and can you have your money back?)

The sway bar acts like an extra spring, so you have to choose between flatness and stiffness (or get some softer springs for your shocks).

You can flash the ECU with an arc welder, but not much else.  :ha: Have a look at these http://www.kenma.com.au/electronic_jet_kit.html for jetting. Timing is still beyond sensible reach, and cams, well...

Watch eBay and the auction sites for an ECU from a later model.

Pogo.
2008 SE5 GS - Lola
Mastad screen, Givi panniers,
Ikon shocks all round,
Classic towbar,
MMG rear shock sock,
Homebuilt front shock socks,
Hindle exhaust,
Falken ZIEX ZE912 rear tyre,
Kumho Solus front tyres,
Signature sway bar (Brilliant!),
Noboot Alloy skid plate (solid),
Tripod toweyez kit,
Tripod hand brake (Awesome!),
Pogotronics trailer lights isolator,
Pogotronics reverse light switch box,
Pogotronics LED brake/tail light kit.

If it ain't fun, I don't do it.

Craig-RSS

« Reply #42 on: 18 April, 2015, 09:20:30 PM »
You are correct about the swaybar.  That is the reason modern super cars like the McLaren have active sway bars so not to detract from the independent suspension action of each wheel.

Seeing nanny kicks in before anywhere near the limit of the bike now, even with the crap kenda tyres there is no point in compromising the ride further with no gain performance, I might as well be comfortable and enjoy the ride.

Hopefully I will get out tomorrow for a run through Mt.Mee and around Glorious.  :biker:

Craig-RSS

« Reply #43 on: 18 April, 2015, 09:25:59 PM »
On another note I am in the BMW club.  The club holds numerous drive events around Brisbane on some great roads.  If people are interested I would be happy to lead a group on a run to one of the pre-determined breakfast stops.

Craig-RSS

« Reply #44 on: 22 May, 2015, 04:23:20 PM »
i just arrived home from a week on site.  Mrs and kids have gone to the coast, so i am home by myself.  anyone up for a ride tomorrow?  i have something on at lunch but after lunch would be good; as getting up each day at 4am this week i an looking forward to a sleep in.   :biker: