imagehowzthat

Sponsors

* User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

* Photo Size

Please keep photo sizes to  

640 x480 

* Calendar

Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28

* Choose a Theme

* Statistic

• *Total Members: 172
  • *Latest: jones

• *Total Posts: 43736
  • *Total Topics: 5279
  • *Online Today: 22
  • *Most Online: 116
(11 July, 2013, 06:51:32 AM)
  • *Users: 0
  • *Guests: 17
  • *Total: 17

Author Topic: Perspective  (Read 1598 times)

Craig-RSS

Perspective
« on: 20 August, 2015, 11:42:53 PM »
Did I do the right thing..............  The eternal question.  I am talking about buying a spyder.  I have been riding and racing motor bikes since I was knee high.  I love my dirt bikes.  But they are time consuming and expensive.  I love the freedom and speed of road bikes. But they are really dangerous; just look at the statistics.

I sold my dirt bike because it was taking up too much time. One, being away form the family for a whole day on the weekend, when I barely see them during the week is not fair.  Two, cost, I when back over my accounts and worked out it cost me nearly $200 every ride, excluding the purchase price of the bike.  That is ridiculous when I am not even racing anymore. 

So I wanted to buy something that wasn't a dirt bike and wasn't extreme like a fireblade or R1.  I did what every middle aged male does.  I thought i wanted a Harley.  It met the criteria; something slow, torquey like a dirt bike, low seat height, still have the wind in your face and still feel alive and gets the adrenaline pumping at non warp speeds.

So the nice people at Morgan and Wacker in Brisbane took me aside showed me all the bikes and let me take a bunch of them for a ride.  Now this is a personal opinion, so don't shoot me if you have or love your Harley; but, what a horrible thing to ride!  The conventional models with the realistic sized rear tyres were ok except for the very, very low lean angles.  I mean I was scraping the floorboards through the ICB!  The fat tyred models like the breakout were just pigs.  Again, no offense if you love them and say I am a pussy and don't know how to ride, but riding and racing everything I could throw a leg over for thirty years, I think I have a reasonable opinion on how something should or should not handle.  So they did have a retro looking machine in their show room that was tricked out which I did fall in love with, but something kept saying keep looking.

On I went. BMW's, Dukes, Triumphs, Indians.  Now if I was able to get the new Indian and not waiting 6 months for one to turn up in Australia, I doubt very much I would be on this forum now.  But, I needed my meditation, my time by myself, my time just to clear my head and that is what riding does for me.  So waiting 6 months was not an option.  So I kept looking.  Super motard? Too fast and too tempting to sit on the back wheel everywhere. Adventure bike?  I would go away for days not hours.  Not the solution.

Wait; whats this thing..... Searching the internet this strange looking three wheeled beast appeared.  Can-am Spyder.... Hmmmm.... Never heard of it or seen one.  More research is required.  Not to dismiss anything a bit quirky, I went on the hunt for information.  It sounds like it fits the bill and when I showed the Mrs, after her initial shock she thought it looked like a good idea.

Test ride time.  The guys at Sea Doo Zillmere said they had a demo model they could take me out on.  First impression, well; it felt similar to some quad biked i had been given to take out racing; completely the opposite to riding a two wheeler and the big rule to remember; don't put your feet down!  So after an hours ride I thought this is it.  A lot safer than a bike, plenty of additional safety tech built in. Fun at the speed limit and the biggest item, it is a bit quirky.

I took the plunge, flew down to Sydney, bought an Orange 2013 RSS.  Talk about being dropped into the deep end; riding from Sydney to Brisbane as your first real ride, starting in Sydney's peak hour traffic not knowing where you are going.  Don't want to do that again.  Anyway after having the Spyder for nearly 12 months was it the right decision?  Well, there have been a couple of issues with it and it is certainly not the build quality of a Lexus, however it has met the criteria and I will follow it up with three examples that might give you an answer.

1. On one of my first rides around Mt. Glorious, I was testing the Spdyers limits.  I came around a corner a bit quick and hit a wet patch; the whole bike skipped side ways about a foot before all the electronics kicked in and dragged me back on line. If I was on 2 wheels I know I would have lost the front end and low sided the bike across the road.

2. I went for a ride with a few mates on their bikes.  We did the big loop around Kilcoy, Somerset, Mt, Glorious, Clear Mountain and Mt.Mee.  I was riding as hard as I could through the corners and could keep up with the slower guys, which through the tight stuff was generally around the speed limit.  However, come to a straight and they were gone.  Towards the end of the ride I swapped with a friend and took his Hyabusa for a ride.  What a beautiful bike.  It was like a guide missile. And that was the problem, I was what seemed like putting along after man-handling the Spyder for the last three hours and doing well over the speed limit without trying.

3. I was riding the Spyder along Ipswich Rd on Wednesday when I saw a beautiful new white 418 Ferrari cruise past.  Up ahead the light changed the Ferrari pulled up at a yellow light. I thought that was unusual, how many people jump on the anchors for a yellow light these days.  So I pulled up beside him.  Next thing I hear is this, "oi mate, what is that? That thing it is awesome!", from the Ferreri driver!  He asked if he could take a photo and asked all about it.  He took off and pulled up early for the next set of lights with about 6 car lengths in front of him so he could talk to me some more as I pulled up in the other lane level with him.

So; perspective, looking at something from a different angle.  Looking a the Spyder with the perspective of time; was it the right choice. I'm not sure, I might be biased, maybe you should ask the Ferrari driver.

Offline babeshorty

• Can-Am 2008 Silver SM5 / 2011 Alloy orange SM5 Daytona SE5 2016
  • Global Moderator
  • Living the Dream
Re: Perspective
« Reply #1 on: 21 August, 2015, 05:05:19 AM »
as they say in the jeep ads don't hold back I love my spyder and it handle real well, so did i make the right choice i will say YES. 
:cheer: THIS IS MY FORUM AND I LOVE :wub: THE WAY ITS GOING GLAD TO SEE LOTS OF MEMEBERS ON HERE ALL THE TIME KEEP IT UP GUYS / GIRLS :cheer:

WTFIG1 Is my number plate What the F*#k i got 1

mods: Chrome bar ends, yoshi exhaust , web clutch lever, web brake reservoir cap, web swing arms ends, web axle caps front and back, Black 3" raisers, touring screen, tank bag, Chrome value caps, Highway Pegs, Chrome licence plate screws, Pannier bags and rack, Spyder Bra and mudguard covers drink holder, sway bar by we spyd, Skid Plate from Noboot

Offline noboot

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 21 August, 2015, 08:19:12 AM »
After fifty (50) years of Motorcycling riding including lately six (6) years of Spyder riding and I am on my second Spyder. Numerous Porsche, Honda, Ford you name it drivers and the man/lady on the street walking past have stopped me to talk about my Spyder. So yes they are an attraction.

They are not everyone's bike as you said if you want Speed buy an F1 or Fireblade. If you want some comfort in your riding buy a Spyder RT, something sporty buy an RSS, something with the Harley Crusier feeling with grunt buy an F3

For me I hope the Spyder is around for many years to come. And it sounds like the Ferrari driver has good taste and an eye for good machinery.

Craig-RSS

« Reply #3 on: 21 August, 2015, 11:43:11 PM »
Typo. That should have been a 458 Ferrari not a 418. Sounds more like a BMW model than a Ferrari.

Adrian

« Reply #4 on: 22 August, 2015, 06:41:53 AM »
Craig, thanks for your perspective. It's difficult not to compare the Spyder to a bike as most of us have come from bikes to a spyder. But that's a bit unfair. Spyders are fun and different but no substitute for a bike in terms of speed and "leaning fun".

If I could justify it, I'd have a dozen different bikes to keep our two Spyders company.

Craig-RSS

« Reply #5 on: 22 August, 2015, 11:21:28 PM »
Adrian, you are correct in saying that bikes and spyders are different. I love bikes but generally feel the modern road bike is no fun on the roads at the speed limit. Yes, if you just want a casual putt maybe, but if you have any ability and any interest in twisting the throttle any corner is double or triple the posted limit. I value my licence and have limited self control so only a track bike is good for me. That is where I am loving the spyder. I am absolutely working my butt off trying to hassle the thing through corners nearly dragging my knee side car style.

Then when I climb back up to wring the throttle again, occasionally glance at the speedo to see I am barely over the post speed. So with the spyder I get to be a hoon at the speed limit which is a win, win.

Adrian

« Reply #6 on: 23 August, 2015, 08:59:16 AM »
Craig. You are spot on. This is exactly what swayed me to buy my Spyder, after riding Wendy's for a year while I still had my bike. I too found I wasn't having much fun unless way over the limit.

The Spyder challenges all your skills of corner line, throttle control and body position to get the best from it - all without doing silly speeds.

Offline noboot

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 23 August, 2015, 09:14:30 AM »

The Spyder challenges all your skills of corner line, throttle control and body position to get the best from it - all without doing silly speeds.

:thumbup:   very correct Adrian. Good one.

Craig-RSS

« Reply #8 on: 26 August, 2015, 08:28:02 PM »
Next time I decide to write something at length, can someone remind me not to do it on an iphone.  :lostit:

Plus the joys of moving house.  I now have a large garage but there is crap everywhere.  Hopefully, once I get it cleaned up over the next few weekends I can find time to go for a fun ride and give the spyder, cars and motorbikes some TLC.  If I can find the car wash.

Highland

« Reply #9 on: 16 September, 2015, 09:29:00 PM »
Well Craig when you get sorted, I'd join you in a ride. I live near Caloundra and I love going for rides around the hills around Palmwood, Montville and the area, I have just fitted a new twin exhaust and can't believe the difference it has made to the bike. It's very loud but I have some inserts to qui ten it down a little before I get booked. I did not even have to stick my BUDS in to remap. So when your free gives us a bell. Cheers.